Support for the national Stand Up To Racism and Fascism demonstration is growing in Oxford. Over 60 people attended the public meeting with lots of pledges to go on the demonstration, with dozens more meetings across the country with big attendences.
In the wake of the destruction of 100 shelters at the Calais camp and the use of riot police and teargas on refugees trapped on the Greece/Macedonia border the Stand Up To Racism called vigil on Saturday drew strong support from the public who stopped to sign the petition calling on David Cameron to stop supportimng the racist treatment of refugees. Over £38 was collected in an hour.
The demosntrations across Europe on March 19 will send a clear message to European leaders, including our own government, that we won't let their racist policies divide us.
We now have just 12 days to build the biggest possible turn out from Oxford to the national demonstration.
What you can do:
- Book your seat on the Oxford coach today - seats can be booked online here or call 07503169657. Tickets are free to supporting unions, £12 waged and £6 unwaged.
- Talk to you friends, family and work colleagues about joining the march to turn the tide against racism.
- Ask your trade union branch to organise a delegation.
- Contact us to help leaflet the following events/places:
- Wednesday 9th March - 8-9 am leaflet junior doctors picket lines, entrances to local hospitals (JRII - Headley Way, Warneford - Roosevelt Drive, Churchill, Old Rd)
- Wednesday 9th March - 11.45 am-12.15 pm leaflet Rhodes must fall demonstration - Oriel College, Merton Street
- Thursday 10th March 8.15 am - leafleting Oxford City College
- Thursday 10th March 5-6.15 pm - public leafleting/stall - meet Carfax Tower, Cornmarket, Oxford
- Friday 11th March 12.30 - leafleting Manzil Way Mosque
- Saturday 13th March 1-2 pm - public leafleting/stall Saturday - meet Carfax Tower, Cornmarket, Oxford
- Thursday 17th March 5-6.15 pm - public leafleting/stall Saturday - meet Carfax Tower, Cornmarket, Oxford
- Contact us if you would like some leaflets or posters for your own workplace, college or community.
Followed by Rally in Trafalgar Square